Thursday, February 19, 2009

Banana Dreams

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." Groucho Marx

Confession: I hated... like gag reflex inducing kind-of hate... bananas until last year.

My mother makes the best banana bread. I mean really. I'm not a huge banana fan, but I could eat a loaf of her bread in a single sitting. And in an evil attempt to keep the banana bread comin' my way, I would purchase wholesale-huge amounts of bananas at a time, "accidentally" allow several to over-rippen, and conveniently hand them over to my mom to "do whatever" with. And it worked for a while... until there was a banana backup and her freezer began to overflow with frozen, awkward bananas.

She has since forbidden me to bring her more bananas.

And so I'm left to fend off banana bread dreams, and make them my own reality. And this is what I came up with today...
















Mom... do you remember the Girl Scout staple? The Banana Bop? Frozen bananas dipped in chocolate? Well here you have it, in it's cupcake glory!

The trick was to make sure that it had the texture of a cupcake (i.e. light, fluffy) and not the heavyness of banana bread. I topped it with melted chocolate chips (mixed with just a tablespoon of butter to make it pliable) -- when the chocolate hardened, it had that "crunch" of a frozen Banana Bop! Delightful!


What I used for the cupcake:

1 and 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
2 eggs
1 and a dash tsp. baking soda
5 tbsp. sour cream
3 mashed bananas
1 and 1/2 c. flour
1 and a dash tsp. vanilla

One bite gone... an entire pan to go... Banana Dreams do come true!



No comments: